The incredible moment a gas explosion destroyed one half of a semi and wrecked part of another was caught by a neighbour’s CCTV.
The footage shows the huge blast ripped through the home in Ryhope, Sunderland – with the homeowner still inside.
Pieces of the property are seen flying through the air and the house erupts at around 8.50am.
Despite the destruction, owner Susan Shepherd survived the blast because a fridge fell on her and she was later pulled from the rubble.
Remarkably, she was the only casualty following the explosion on Friday, and was treated for burns at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.
The CCTV footage was captured from Kelly Rickett’s house, who was not in at the time but later discovered her camera had recorded the explosion.
Ms Shepherd’s sister Tracy Tia Judson said she was able to talk in the ambulance, having miraculously survived the major blast which sent roof tiles flying and shot the back door more than 20 metres down the back garden and over a fence.
Writing on Facebook, Ms Judson said: ‘The fridge fell on top of her and saved her life, she’s absolutely fine under the circumstances, she’s got minor burns to her back, face and arms and her hip might need stitching.’
In an earlier public post, she said there must be a God as ‘How the hell can anyone survive that explosion?’.
Ms Shepherd’s daughter was with her father at the time of the blast, the sister said.
The area was quickly flooded with police, fire crews, paramedics and an air ambulance.
Gas engineers were also at the scene, along with search specialists with dogs to make sure there were no other casualties trapped.
It was understood there were no injuries from the other half of the semi which remained standing but appeared very badly damaged.
Locals were quick to offer help with people wanting to donate toys and clothes and they set up an online fundraising page.
Neighbour Tracey Pounder, 51, said: ‘I heard an almighty bang. I went upstairs and you could see dust rising.
‘Half of the semi has gone and next door is wrecked.
‘I came down to see what was happening and it is a complete shock.’
Northumbria Police said the blast was caused by a gas explosion.
Bill Forster, of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: ‘The walls of the building have collapsed and the upper sections of the building have come down and the lady was trapped beneath that rubble.’