Oscar needed emergency surgery after he ate a pair of knickers (Picture: SWNS)
A cheeky dog could have died after eating a pair of knickers.
Oscar had to have emergency surgery to remove the black Marks and Spencer undies from his stomach after he began feeling unwell.
The knickers belonged to Kim Breadon, who was visiting her mum Stephanie Breadon, who owns the King Charles Spaniel.
They had been left on the bathroom floor at the house in Congleton, Cheshire.
‘Oscar’s eaten all sorts of things before, including slug pellets,’ said Stephanie.
‘But he’s never eaten anything like this before – certainly not a pair of knickers.’
The stitching on Oscar’s tummy after his operation (Picture: SWNS)
The dog ate black knickers (not pictured) (Picture: Shutterstock)
Vet Rokas Proscevicius, who operated on Oscar at Vets Now pet emergency clinic in Macclesfield, was also surprised when he discovered the knickers.
He said the undies, which were in his stomach for eight days, were blocking his intestines.
He added: ‘I’ve heard of all sorts of foreign objects getting lodged in a dog’s stomach, including golf balls, babies dummies, rubber ducks and even fridge magnets.
‘But underwear? That’s a new one on me! I’ve never encountered that before.
‘Oscar was actually very fortunate that we got to him when we did. A foreign object like this can be fatal sometimes.’
Oscar’s X-ray (Picture: SWNS)
Midwife Kim, 27, was staying with her mum while she had builders in at her own home.
Stephanie added: ‘We’ve got a dog-proof lid on our laundry basket now and the next time Kim comes to stay I’m sure she’ll be picking up her clothes.
‘We can laugh about it now – but it was pretty serious at the time. We could have lost Oscar.’