Ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak is set to become a free man tomorrow after five years of legal cases against the former ruler were finally dropped.
Mubarak, who was overthrown as president of Egypt in an uprising in 2011, will be released from detention in a military hospital, the public prosecutor ruled today.
His lawyer Farid El Deeb said he is set to be released today or “soon after”, adding: “He will go to his home.”
Mubarak, 88, was cleared of murder charges this month in his final trial, having faced various charges ranging from corruption to ordering the killing of protesters who ended his 30-year-rule.
He had one more jail sentence to serve but was cleared after serving time on remand for the murder charges, judicial sources and the state news agency said.
The prosecution took off the time served waiting for the murder case to finish from the time he was meant to serve in a separate case.
He had been found guilty of appropriating funds reserved for maintaining presidential palaces.
Mubarak was originally sentenced to life in prison in 2012 for conspiring to murder 239 demonstrators during the 18-day revolt – an uprising that sowed chaos and created a security vacuum but also inspired hope for democracy and social justice.
An appeals court ordered a retrial that finished in 2014 with the case against Mubarak and his senior officials being dropped.
An appeal by the public prosecutor led to a final retrial by the Court of Cassation, the highest in the country, which acquitted him on March 2.