Man arrested following tragedy of girl, 15, who died 'taking legal high in a park'
Leah, who was named locally, is said to have died from a so-called legal high (Picture: Enterprise News)

A 20-year-old has appeared in court after a teenager died from taking formerly legal highs.

The tragic incident saw a 15-year-old taking a so-called legal drug with two friends in a park.

Plane declares mid-air emergency after bursting tyre during take-off from Gatwick

The girl, named locally as Leah Kerry, was rushed to hospital in Devon after passing out.

She died after slipping out of consciousness at 4am on Saturday, July 15.

A further two teenage girls were monitored by medics after taking the same substance. They were later released from Torbay District Hospital.

Man arrested following tragedy of girl, 15, who died 'taking legal high in a park'
Jacob appeared in court today (Picture: Enterprise News and Pictures)

Police began the search for the dealer, before swooping on a local man.

Teenager denies going on 90 minute acid attack spree in London

‘Police currently believe that the 15-year-old girl who died had taken a new psychoactive substance, more commonly referred to as “legal highs”, and had suffered an adverse reaction,’ a Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman said.

Officers arrested Jacob Khanlarian on Sunday, ahead of his appearance at Plymouth magistrates.

The Newton Abbot-based man is accused of two counts of possession with intent to supply a controlled drug of class A (MDMA) and one count of supply a controlled drug of Class B (cannabis).

Man arrested following tragedy of girl, 15, who died 'taking legal high in a park'
She became unconscious at 4am yesterday (Picture: Enterprise News and Pictures)

In light of Leah’s death, Detective Superintendent Ken Lamont had a warning for the local community.

He said of the drugs: ‘They’re not legal. They’re illegal, they’re very, very dangerous, probably more dangerous than traditional drugs. People do not know what it is in them.

‘It is a real safeguarding plea to the community, don’t touch new psychoactive substances, they are very, very dangerous.’